Tuesday, December 18, 2012

One Beat


Out from under the wing of desire,
bushwhacking thru the demons of my soul,
I watch the dust unfurl rainbows from my soles.

I hear the beat of wings above my head.
The blessing of a thousand feathers fill my spirit.
I am one beat of a hummingbird's heart

Dry tears fill the arroyos of my dreams,
a wedding march down dusty church aisles,
heart shaped rocks guide a path towards the blue sky

and the sticks share their gnarled smiles,
twisting around my superhero illusions
like the wand of a magician in the eye of a shawoman.

Winter makes a temporary home of me.
Hearth embers and the memory of christmas trees
haunt the premonitions of my future.

How is this possible?
Pitter patter, pitter pat. Pitter patter, pitter pat.
I am one beat of a hummingbird's heart.

Ears burn in the heat of our words,
boiling and reducing what was one into another.
A labyrinth where was a field, a blade where was a bed.

Maiden, crone, sister, wife, teacher, lover, mother...
veils fall one after another.. after another, I see stars
shivering in the madness of our naked winter skin.

I leapt from your fast train.
I ran to the trees for cover, looking to hear the leaves applaud me
when all I am is one beat of a hummingbird's heart.


2010

No comments:

Post a Comment